So you’ve seen Pacific Rim…
…AND LOVED IT, RIGHT?
Right. So here’s the thing: this movie, while not perfect by any means, is tailor-fucking-made to be a great fandom. Why?
- The world-building is epic. E P I C. Like, I can’t even with this unholy amount of detail. And half this shit isn’t even explicitly stated in the movie! I mean, we don’t even need a collective fanon hivemind to tell us that Drifting lasts far beyond being inside a jaeger, or that some Drifting side-effects include taking on some of the personality traits of your co-pilot.
- This is literally canon: the bond constantly pulls on the pilots’ minds - the further apart they are, the harder it pulls. BASICALLY THIS FANDOM IS ALL THE SOULBONDING TROPES. ALL. OF. THEM.
- There are plenty of hot people in this cast of all shapes and colors. Not to mention Charlie Day looking like this—and yes, that IS, in fact, a full body tat consisting of famous kaijus.
- This universe works seamlessly with any fandom! Marvel Cinematic Universe? Sure!! Teen Wolf? WHY THE FUCK NOT? Who DOESN’T want their OTP to be soulbonded in a giant monster-fighting robot??
- MAKO FUCKING MORI.
- Did I mention there are adorable, bickering scientists who have more than likely known each other for years? Who are also both disabled individuals who motherfucking SAVE THE WORLD?
- These two are epically soulbonded BFFs…who should probably bone. Or not! Canon lets you choose!
- These two are massive douches to each other…and should probably bone. Or have lots of hate sex. Or lots of comfort sex! (Shhh…ignore canon on this one and just come.)
- Orrrrrrr you could just have all three together in one giant OT3 puppy pile.
- The ART oh my actual god, I simply can’t.
- PLUS, there’s already talk of a Pacific Rim Big Bang!
SO WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? World-building, open-ended character backstories and canon that’s both vague and awesome = GR8 FANDOM TIMES FOR ALL!!!!